Ammonites in the pebbles, corals in the cobbles, and oysters in the high street? Can you really find fossils on the historic streets of York? Join palaeontologist Fossiliam (Dr Liam Herringshaw) on our Streetlife Family Fossil Hunt and we'll show you, yes you can!
Starting at the Pebble Mosaic in York Museum Gardens, we’ll visit 6 different places on a 1-hour walk, drawing the fossils we find along the way and collecting their code numbers. Once we reach the Streetlife Hub, we’ll try to crack the code and use our fossil drawings to create a Streetlife Fossil Timeline.
1. 1pm start: Pebble Mosaic, York Museum Gardens – A is for Ammonites
2. Stop: outside the Yorkshire Museum – B is for Burrows
3. Stop: Fern Garden, York Museum Gardens – C is for Coal Forests
4. Stop: York Walls, Mint Yard – D is for Discovering Spotty Cobbles
5. Stop: St Helen’s Square – E is for Eruptions
6. Stop: Sports Direct/Virgin Money, Coney Street – F is for Fossil Shells
7. 2pm: Streetlife Hub, Coney Street – G is for Geological History, as we draw our fossil discoveries onto the Streetlife Timeline, and crack the code.
This event is hosted in partnership with York Festival of Ideas. Please follow the link below to book.
The Pebble Mosaic meeting point is next to the old bowling green, near the abbey ruins, with the What3Words location of https://what3words.com/poppy.full.friday