One of the most striking buildings on Coney Street is the Mansion House, built in the 1730s as a residence for the Lord Mayors of York. Today it is still the official mayoral residence and hosts civic functions, but is also open to the public as a museum.
Behind the Mansion House is the city’s medieval Guildhall. The site was purchased by the city in 1231, and the building was used as a courthouse and as the venue for major civic ceremonies. The stonework of the current Guildhall dates to 1445.
During the Second World War the Guildhall was one of major casualties of the Blitz, when it was hit by an incendiary bomb on the night of 29 April 1942. All the medieval timbers and the lead roof were lost, but the city decided to rebuild it exactly as before and the renovated hall was reopened in 1960. Between 2019 and 2022 the Guildhall was refurbished in order to function as a business and conference space for the 21st century.